World Fair Trade Day is on Saturday 8 May! Join the #BuildBackFairer campaign calling for a transformation of the economy to benefit smallholder farmers and workers around the world.
As lockdown restrictions ease and the Scottish Parliament elections take place on Thursday, this is our chance to create the fairer, better world that we had envisaged during our first lockdown last year.
How can we do this? This global campaign asks governments to build back fairer using the following principles:
- Protect: put the health and livelihoods of farmers, workers and artisans first
- Restart: require stimulus packages to be reliant on human rights due diligence and climate commitments by companies
- Redesign: shape the rules of the game so businesses put people and the planet ahead of profit
- Resource: provide incentives for sustainable consumption through taxation and sustainable public procurement
Find out more in this short video:
In Scotland, you can help make #BuildBackFairer a reality for smallholder farmers and workers:
1. Join the photo challenge.
2. Choose Fair Trade products from independent retailers near you.
3. Ask your local and regional Scottish Election candidates to pledge their support for Fair Trade.
4. Encourage your local independent retailers to buy and stock more Fair Trade products. Invite them to this special retailer event on Wednesday 5 May.
5. If you are a member of the Forum, join our online event on Saturday 8 May. Not a member? Membership is free to Fair Trade groups and there is a small fee for individuals and organisations. Find out more about becoming part of Scotland’s Fair Trade network.